About 26 photos of the the Frigate DOM FERNANDO II E GLÓRIA of the Portuguese Navy are displayed at the Art Gallery of the Directorate of Art & Culture in Panjim. The exhibition is organized by the LSG – Lusophone Society of Goa.
The Frigate was built at the shipyard of Daman in Portuguese India, which possessed to the east a large forest of teak wood in Nagar-Aveli, considered to be an excellent wood for ship building. She was Portugal’s last sailing warship to be built and also the last ship that undertook the Carreira da Índia (India Run), a regular military line that connected Portugal to its colonies in India since the beginning of the 16th century. The Portuguese India Armadas (Armadas da Índia) were the fleets of ships, organized by the crown of the Kingdom of Portugal and dispatched on an annual basis from Portugal to India, principally Goa. The ship remained in active service until 1878, and in 1990 was restored to her appearance of the 1850s, shown in the photographs of the exhibition.
Venue: Art Gallery, Directorate of Art & Culture, Patto, Panjim
Timings: February 21 (Thursday) to 24 (Sunday) 2019, from 9.30 am to 6 pm.
LSG Facebook improved!For regular bilingual updates (English-Portuguese) on India's business and cultural relations with the Portuguese-speaking world, follow us on Facebook or Twitter. Please click below
News in brief
"News in Brief" are now published on our FB page (click link below)
- Portuguese-speaking Goans and Brazilians gather in GoaGoeses falantes de português e brasileiros reuniram-se em Goa 0 comments | posted on 13/07/2019
- “India and the Lusophone Market” International Congress, January 14 and 15, 2014 – Goa, India”Índia e o Mercado Lusófono” Congresso Internacional, 14 e 15 de Janeiro de 2014, Goa, Índia 0 comments | posted on 14/10/2013
- India/Goa – Brasil, Seminar Focusing on Sustainability: Environmental, Social and Cultural AspectsÍndia/Goa – Brasil, seminário com foco na sustentabilidade: aspectos ambientais, sociais e culturais 0 comments | posted on 27/03/2018
- “4th Lusofonia Festival Goa 2018”, February 15 – April 15″Quarto Festival da Lusofonia Goa 2018”, 15 de Fevereiro – 15 de Abril 0 comments | posted on 15/02/2018
- 2nd Lusofonia Festival Goa 2016 realized with great success2º Festival da Lusofonia Goa 2016 realizado com grande sucesso 0 comments | posted on 14/01/2016